Tuesday 5 October 2010

Time seems to fly by....This past weekend I was working on two commissions for work and the beginning of the week has been absorbed with thinking about new ideas and products for our web shops.
One of the commissions was for a house number sign for a 'Wendy House' in Weatherby. The client gave me a few pointers and left me to have a go. She collected it yesterday and later sent me a text message "....we put up 3a and it looks great! The colours are perfect and we love the design you chose. Thanks very much!" It was lovely to have some cheery feedback.

The second commission was for a large bowl. I so enjoyed making this one and when the purchaser has collected (hopefully pleased with it) and given it to its intended recipient I will share a photograph here on the blog. Actually I will miss it and would like to make another for me!

We should have some new 'seasonal' gifts available in our shops on etsy and folksy later and we will update the blog when they are available. I'm having a rainbow moment...so all the new designs are with rainbow coloured stars and inspite of myself they also seen to be a bit glittery but I actually love them and we hope you will too!

Feedback from people is interesting. The smallest comment can sometimes seem so negative even when it is almost certainly not meant to. One comment I received about my bowls was about the roughness of the finish. I suppose it is the tactile nature of them that I love the most and it is quite hard to get that across in a photograph. Of course being at craft fairs makes that part easy because people pick the bowls up and seem to actively enjoy the textures and odd shapes. It's the same with Laura's Tie bags...once you feel the luxurious silk of the (ex gentleman's tie) fabric they are hard to resist! The point is that feedback is always a good thing. I especially like it when people say something like "this is good...but it would be even better if you..."

I have also been visiting galleries, homes, gifts and craft shops in Harrogate distributing leaflets to promote the up-coming FLARE Artist and Makers Craft Fairs in November. Along the way I have been meeting interesting and wonderfully creative people. It has been a pleasure.

At Sutcliffe Galleries in Harrogate I was blown away by some extraordinary 'pictures' in 3 dimensions by Jon Mittan. His work is still life of vegetables in very classical style but presented as 3D photographs. The work has to be seen to be fully appreciated and I would heartily recommend a visit to gallery to get the full effect. Sutcliffe Galleries also has some beautiful paintings, Raku pottery and jewellery by local artists and it is very friendly place to visit.

On my travels leafleting I also met Garry Faulkner who has literally just opened his new shop Home and Garden in Montpellier Mews. The store is filled with an exquisite selection of goods, decorations and accessories for making a home really special. There are all sorts of unusual and tasteful objects any of which I would love to have in my home. It would be the perfect place to find a modest wedding present or a 'moving in' gift. I will definitely be returning to browse.

This morning I met a remarkable lady who runs a beautiful boutique gift shop called The Stalls in Bower Street, Harrogate. Her shop sells a lovely range of handmade and crafted gifts, all modestly and reasonably priced. There are felt bags, jewellery, photographs, cosmetics, cushions...lots of incredibly original things. All worth the short detour from the main shopping area (The Stalls can be found just behind the bus station). Natasha Harris was the perfect person for me to meet today, very positive and kind and encouraging. I felt elated, which sounds a bit over the top I agree, but chatting to her about her business and how she collaborates with local artists made me feel good about what Laura and I are trying to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment